The GBHO unveiled the sign which acknowledged the local retired train bridge’s entrance onto the National Historic Register of Places. Trustee Jim Moreo spearheaded this project and spoke to the group that was gathered.
Trustee Jim Moreo dedicating signpost
The L-158 bridge started its life as one-third of the bridge spanning the Rondout Creek in Kingston, NY.
When the Muscoot Reservoir was constructed, by flooding the Muscoot Creek, a larger bridge was needed to span this body of water. The Muscoot Creek was a much narrower waterway. The railroad company purchased the bridge and brought a section of it to Golden’s Bridge in 1904.
Jim explained when the reservoir was lowered years ago, Native American fish weirs were discovered.
Weirs are stone walls in a body of water that direct fish to areas where they are easy to catch.
The L-158 bridge was placed on the National Historic Register in 1978.
for their donation
of the sign pole
Old Golden’s Bridge