In the 1690’s Stephanus Van Cortlandt was granted what is now northern Westchester from the King William III. He built a manor house for himself in 1697, but unfortunately died in 1700. At that time, his land was divided up between his eleven surviving children.
His son, Stephen, was given South Lot #7, which included Somers, Old Goldens Bridge, and south as far south as Woods Bridge Road in Katonah.
His daughter, Gertrude Beekman was given South Lot #8, which included Lake Katonah, Goldens Bridge Colony, Wild Oaks, and went as far east as Increase Miller Elementary School.
Daughter, Margaret and husband Samuel Bayard, were given South Lot #9 which included Cross River, Flintlock Ridge, Mt. Holly, and as far south as parts of Ward Pound Ridge Reservation.