History of Goldens Bridge

“Of all the hamlets in Lewisboro, Goldens Bridge has had the most change forced upon it by influences beyond its control.  First came the reservoir at the beginning of the twentieth century, and then the tide of concrete highway in the last half of the century.”

From Images of Lewisboro
by Maureen Kohl

Our Story



 Goldens Bridge in the 1860’s:

– written 1913

The little freight house stood on the west side of the track, with its platform for the convenience of all kinds of produce.  On the east side facing the new road was a large two story flat roofed building owned by Augustus Clark, which was used for a General Store, Post Office, and at one time a ticket office for the railroad…Facing the track on the west side was a one story basement and peaked roof building owned by Orrin Frost, in which kept Dry Goods, Groceries, Farm Implements in fact everything that was needed…

Just South was a dwelling and Shoe Shop combined, here the young and old came to have their feet measured and shoes made…

Just a little further South was a yard where marble was drawn by horses from a quarry east of the village; there it was dressed and loaded on cars and shipped…

South on the old highway stood a blacksmith shop…later in a large building on the opposite side of the street both a blacksmithing and wheelwright business was carried on…

The old highway crossed the railroad tracks with a wooden bridge, a few feet North of the present crossing on East back of the present Methodist Church*…

The little village did not boast a schoolhouse, the nearest being about a mile North on the road to Purdy’s Station…

*The “present” Methodist Church was built in 1902 and is still at 21 Anderson Lane.

Goldens Bridge Timeline
Timeline main image

Cortlandt Manor

In the 1690’s Stephanus Van Cortlandt was granted what is now northern Westchester from the King William III...
Timeline main image


After the Revolutionary War, the manor properties were split into towns. Goldens Bridge became part of ...

Timeline main image

Muscoot Reservoir

In the early 1900’s New York City purchased and condemned much of the land surrounding the ...

Timeline main image

From Farmers to Commuters

After World War I, dairy farming was not as profitable as it had previously. So farmers began selling off their ...

Timeline main image

Route 684

In the 1970’s the “downtown” area of Goldens Bridge had to be moved yet again! This time it was for the ...


Have you ever wondered the following?

Where did the hamlet of Goldens Bridge get its name?

Where is the bridge?

Is it spelled Golden’s Bridge or Goldens Bridge?

Read Lewisboro Town Historian Maureen Kohl’s article – Who’s the Golden in Golden’s Bridge to find out more!

The history of the Goldens Bridge Train Station Learn More .